How I learned Angular and Nodejs?

I wanted to gain a deeper understanding of Angular, Typescript, Bootstrap, and Node since that's the direction we're taking our technology stack at my work over the next few years. I decided to focus on small achieveable steps that each built upon the previous step since that's the only manageable way to maintain momentum and achieve a large goal like this.

Phase 1 - build something small that works The subject of the product was a simple dice game called Liar's dice. I chose this because it had very simple rules that I already understood so that I could focus on development rather than on understanding requirements. I created a nodejs server with express serving an API that controlled the game itself. I created a simple javascript page with a few buttons and textboxes that would interact with the back-end. Though leveraging websockets and session IDs I successfully created a game that could be manually pushed through the 'happy path' with multiple players.

Phase 2 - convert to typescript In the first phase, I had implemented the back-end in javascript, which wasn't good enough. I wanted to use Typescript so that I would have type safety and practice that more on both the back-end and the upcoming Angular front-end. I went through file by file, renaming js files to ts files. I then changed the package.json scripts to compile the typescript to javascript, then spent some time editing the existing code to include all of the typescript types and signatures.

Phase 3 - unit test what I built Once the back-end was converted to typescript, I started writing unit tests. The first unit test I wrote was 10 lines. The next was 30 lines. The next was 50 lines. This was quickly getting out of control. I took a step back, looked at my code, and realized that I had put all of the application logic within the express endpoint handlers themselves. I took the opportunity to refactor my code so that the express endpoints merely validated what was passed in, converted these values to a known type, and sent the call in to the application logic. This allowed me to build more unit tests. There were another few refactorings that I made after this one which involved dependency injection in order to be able to inject the current state into each individual method to make tests smaller.

Phase 4 - refactor what I built into something better Once all the application-logic unit tests were written, I took a look at the file and folder organization, which wasn't good enough. Since I had started with something bare-bones and converted it in place, it just didn't feel right anymore. I went out spalunking through github to find templates of well-laid-out node projects. I finally found one in Typescript Node Handler. I studied the way the files were organized and how the components built upon and consumed one another, then refactored my code to be similar. This is a step that I wouldn't have been able to do effectively at the start of this project because until I worked through the conversion of js to ts and other issues, I didn't have a strong enough foundation of knowledge to understand this.

Phase 5 - iteratively add content I then spent a lot of time converting the simple buttons and textboxes into an angular application. I invested time up front mocking out many different designs to use, and then settled on one so that I could start off on the right foot when it came to building out the various angular components.

Conclusion The thing that made this approach a success for me was that each phase built upon the last. I was able to gain more and more understanding that built upon understanding that came before. I had many ah-hah moments that wouldn't have occurred on their own. This game is still in development, but you can find more information about it in the project page.